A lip lift is a surgical procedure that shortens the length of the upper lip to the nasal base providing a lift as well as giving the appearance of a fuller upper lip. At rest with the lips slightly apart, we should show about 2 millimeters of our teeth and at full smile, the lower border of the upper lip should be at the gum line. The "normal" length of the upper lip is anywhere from 12-16mm. I prefer to measure both by using the traditional accepted aesthetic measure as well as based on the relative show of the teeth. The procedure takes about one hour and is performed under local anesthesia. Recovery is about 5-7 days with sutures being removed at 7 days and some mild swelling the first 2-3 days. Pain is minimal and well controlled with pain medication and antibiotics are prescribed to take for 5-7 days.
BEFORE & AFTER
WHAT TO LOVE ABOUT LIP LIFT?
- No need to go to the hospital for surgery
- Lip lifts under local anesthesia require less downtime and quicker recovery than lip lifts performed under general anesthesia
- Increases both the volume of the upper lip and create a better aesthetic proportion with the lower lip.
- A lip lift may reveal a hint of your top teeth
- A corner lip lift corrects a constant frowning appearance
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT LIP LIFT?
- You have the option of having you lip lift done under local anesthesia with or without IV sedation.
- Amount of skin removed is customized to be proportioned with each individuals features
- During a lip lift, incisions are made at the base of the nose below the nostrils
- Corner lip lifts are for people that have a sad look because the outer corners of their lips turn down.